I spent the majority of this morning finding and downloading songs from the 90s. I’m a product of the 90s . I mean, yeah, I was born in the 80s, but the mid-80s, so, while I did try for about five years to pass myself off as a product of the 80s, I have come to terms with the concept that the 90s shaped who and what I am.
For your enjoyment and just in case you’re not sure if the 90s were, in fact, your decade :
You know you’re a 90s kid if:
- You’ve ever ended a sentence with the word “PSYCHE!”
- You just can’t resist finishing this: “In west Philadelphia, born and raise…”
- You know that “woah” comes from Joey on “Blossom” and “How Rude!” comes from Stephanie on “Full House.” [note: when I was little and watched this show I always thought that “Six” was actually named “Sex.”]
- You remember when it was worth getting up early on Saturday’s to watch cartoons.
- You wore a ponytail on the side of your head and had fluffed bangs
- You had at least one GigaPet or Nano and brought it everywhere.
- You watched the original Care Bears, My Little Pony, and Ninja Turtles.
- All your school supplies were “Lisa Frank” brand.
- You remember when Kurt Cobain, 2Pac, River Phoenix, and Selena died.
- You used to wear those stick on earrings, not only on your ears, but at the corners of your eyes.
- You remember a time before the WB.
- You remember (and loved) TGIF on ABC.
- You know the Macarena by heart.
- “Talk to the hand ’cause the face ain’t listening.”
- You always said, “Then why don’t you marry it!”
- You got super excited when it was Oregon Trail day in computer class at school.
- You begged for some GAK, and when you got it, they came out with scented GAK, and when you got that, they came out with funny scented GAK.
- You took plastic cartoon lunch boxes to school.
- You danced to “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls.
- You remember the craze, then the banning of slap bracelets and slam books.
- You still get the urge to say “NOT” after (almost) every sentence.
- You used to listen to the radio all day long just to record your favorite song of all time with a tape recorder held up to the radio.
- Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?
- Captain Planet.
- You remember when Super Nintendo became popular.
- You always wanted to send in a tape to America’s Funniest Home Videos.
- You remember watching home alone 1, 2 , and 3 and tried to pull the pranks on “intruders.”
- “I’ve fallen and I can’t get up”
- You remember going to the skating rink before there were in-line skates.
- Two words: Trapper Keeper.
- You remember boom boxes vs. CD players.
- Writing M.A.S.H. notes.
- You remember New Kids on The Block when they were cool.
- You knew all the characters names and their life stories on “Saved By The Bell.”
Remember, this is all when we were just a little bit younger:
- Before the MySpace frenzy.
- Before the Internet & text messaging.
- Before Sidekicks & iPods.
- Before Mike Jones.
- Before PlayStation2 or X-BOX
- When light up sneakers were cool.
- When you rented VHS tapes, not DVDs.
- When gas was $0.95 a gallon & Caller ID was a new thing.
- When we recorded stuff on VCRs & paid $3.50 for a movie.
- When we called the radio station to request songs that we’d listen to on our walkmans.
- When 2Pac and Biggie where alive.
- When the Chicago Bulls were the best team ever.
I might be a big dork, but come on, you remember and loved all this stuff too, so don’t be too judgemental.