SadieDog the HuskyMutt: Adventures in Veterinary Medicine

22 Feb

No shit, there I was.* On Sunday, the final day of a three-day army weekend, sitting in an auditorium in northern Virginia listening to briefing after briefing. The topics had decent range. We covered hot and cold weather injuries, fraternization, how to spot human trafficking and a whole assortment of topics that made my eyes droop and my patience wane. 

Andrew got a phone call mid-morning. He stepped outside to answer it, came back in and motioned for me to join him outside.

The call was about Sadie. It was from our (absolutely fabulous) boarder. Something was wrong.

Andrew told me the boarder was taking her to the emergency vet because she was vomiting, essentially pooping blood, and not acting like her normally very happy and energetic self. Not good things. 

We were totally helpless.  Andrew and I couldn’t leave northern Virginia until much later in the day and we were, essentially, stuck. Stuck listening to someone read PowerPoint slides detailing how to get water from a cactus.  Stuck sitting in an auditorium without heat. Stuck. All while our baby dog, our HuskyMutt, was sick and 100 miles away.

I spent the rest of the morning sitting in briefings tapping my foot, agitated. I wanted to go.  I wanted the time to go by faster, for the day to JUST HURRY UP AND END ALREADY DAMMIT!

We had formation at 5 PM. Finally. We were released and, chomping at the bit, we hit the road. We dropped off our Soldier at a metro station and headed south. Finally.

We didn’t get to the vet’s office until a bit after 7 PM. They put us in a room and promptly forgot about us. For real. An hour went by, nothing. No sign of our baby dog. After 8 PM passed us by, the receptionist came in and apologized that we had been waiting so long. She said they had just tried some treatment on Sadie and that the vet, and our dog, would be with us in a moment. 

15 minutes later, they finally brought Sadie in and the overly made-up vet tech asked if we had any questions. I said I wanted to know everything seeing as I knew absolutely nothing and that I hadn’t brought her in and GAH! TELL ME WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH MY BABY DOG RIGHTTHISMINUTE! So the vet tech left, because I scared her and the actual vet came in and asked, in a sort of snotty way, what I needed to know and I said I needed to know everything because hearing something secondhand from your husband is great and all except for that it’s not and that could she please start at the beginning and tell me what the hell is happening and why Sadie has to be here and why she has a shaved spot on her back leg and why is she wearing a red leash, don’t you people know purple is her favorite color?

And so the vet told me. Apparently Sadie’s level mean she could have had something wrong that the vets don’t understand or she could have been really, really stressed the fuck out. Which is weird. Because Sadie gets boarded at the same place every few weeks when we have to be out of town and they don’t feed her anything except for the food we bring her and so really, we don’t know anything. Except for that she’s okay, which is the part that matters.

We loved on Sadie for a bit longer after the vet left. They made us leave her there over night so they could line their pockets with our hard-earned cash and because they wanted to make sure nothing changed in her sunny disposition.

We left the vet’s around 9 PM. Hit Hardee’s for a quick dinner (did you know they don’t have anything even a little bit healthy?) and headed home, finally. We watched two episodes of friends and went to sleep to an empty sounding house.

I hate waking up in the morning without Sadie, even though she drives me insane when she’s here.

Luckily, the vet called at 9 AM this morning and said we could come and get her at 11 AM. Thank goodness.  I couldn’t handle too many more hours without baby dog.

She’s home now. We’ve got to limit her water intake, feed her rice and boiled beef.  The doc seems to think she’ll be fine, and while we’re out $1100 for her visit to the vet, it’s totally worth it to know she’s going to be okay.

 * All good Army stories start this way. All of them. I’ve been conditioned to start stories this way.


10 Responses to “SadieDog the HuskyMutt: Adventures in Veterinary Medicine”

  1. H to the Izzo February 22, 2010 at 12:22 PM #

    Oh no! I’m glad to hear she seems to be doing fine. Emergency-vet-anything is not good. I would be so distraught if anything happened to Kia.

  2. Mermanda February 22, 2010 at 12:56 PM #

    Oh man. Our animal hospital bill was about the same for the raisin eating incident. I agree… the money is worth it knowing your pup will be healthy.

  3. Ash February 22, 2010 at 1:40 PM #

    So very glad to hear Sadie is okay.Can’t believe the bill was $1100 for essentially a 24 hour period without major surgery. I firmly believe in pet health insurance.

    Public service announcement: if your dog is severely in need of lifesaving vet care but you can’t afford it, check out Its the American Animal Hospital Association and they give grants up to $500 for those in financial difficulty.

  4. Mom/Veta/Glinkins February 22, 2010 at 8:02 PM #

    Sorry you went home to such a scare about Sadie.
    Glad you did good on your exam.
    Hope you can relax and get a good nights rest after all that has been happening since you got home. Miss you.

  5. Liz February 22, 2010 at 8:34 PM #

    I can’t wait to meet Sadie and spend a weekend with a dog again! Glad she’s doing okay now.

  6. chasingparadise February 23, 2010 at 11:07 AM #

    Poor Sadie! So seriously, you spent $1,100 on her and you don’t know what’s wrong with her, other than she’s ok? I swear, I think vets do this stuff just for their own benefit. I’m glad to hear your baby is ok. I freak out anytime something happens with our dogs. As a matter of fact, my dachshund had a seizure on Saturday morning. I cry every time, even though she has epilepsy and I know this. But I cry every single time!

  7. Alverna February 23, 2010 at 1:39 PM #

    Oh no! Poor Sadie! I’ll have to tell Tim–he’ll be happy to know his HuskyMutt crush is OK. So glad she’s feeling better now though!!

    If it helps, Karli has had the same symptoms–several times. At first our vet didn’t know what caused it and treated it similar to Sadie’s treatment. However, he was eventually able to pinpoint the cause to one of her favorite activities: becoming a doggie vaccuum cleaner, aka licking hair off the floors. Since then (and at our vet’s recommendation), we feed her 1-2 fish oil pills per day and we haven’t had an episode since. The purpose is basically to lube her GI tract so that anything she eats that doesn’t belong in there can slide right through instead of sitting around to irritate her and cause the vomiting/diarrhea. I also heard a vet recommend feeding pineapple juice for the same thing. Just a thought…

  8. CuppyCakes February 25, 2010 at 5:31 AM #

    Poor Sadiepup! Maybe she picked up a bug at the kennel/boarding place?

    I hope it mends itself, and that she’s back to her usual sadiepup self in no time!

  9. anOCgirl March 3, 2010 at 9:59 AM #

    oh noes! poor sadie! so glad she’s ok. there truly is no price for peace of mind, especially when it comes to our furbabies. i’m sure sadie appreciates your TLC 🙂


  1. February. Still the shortest month. « questionable rationale - February 28, 2010

    […] up in May. – We got serious about getting back in shape and eating better food. – SadieDog got sickity sick sick, cost us a ton of hard earned cash and still refuses to get off the couch a get a job. – I decided […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: